Thursday, November 6, 2008

Were not in Kansas anymore....

Well I was pulled from my usual comfortable routine and sent to the trauma unit. Not usually a big deal. But today was travel day. Let me correct that... travel without any notice day. I walk into my first room for my first vent check and the there is an anesthesiologist, a transport tech and several other people. I know I'm going to look dumb but still I had to ask, "Are we going some where?". "yes the OR... now" Okay, okay I stuff my pockets full of all the crap I might ever possibly need and off we go. I leave them in the OR and come back to the unit. Walk through the doors and a nurse assails me, "Are your ready?" Me (looking dumb yet again) "Er, ready for what?" "We are taking bed four to the cath lab... now" Damn. Lucky though, I still have pockets full of all crap I may need. I never really get caught up... but you know eventually you get so behind your on schedule again! The afternoon was a repeat performance. Another transport ... which I actually got told about. And then I am doing my vent check and two nurses are talking "... and when you get back we will..." One more time I look dumb, "Are we going somewhere? " "Yes, CT ... now". You know I should have just walked out and not said a word and when they were ready to roll out the door and realized the guy is connected to a ventilator THEN maybe they would think about giving the RT a heads up!!

But then again. They might not have noticed and extubated the guy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heh...that's how we roll in Trauma. No warning, no apologies.