Monday, September 22, 2008

Princess

So I began my shift full of empathy and compassion and a pretty little 18 y/o female who was in an MVA. I thought how much it would suck to have your pretty body disfigured by a four inch long scar along her swan like neck and the smaller incision in her side for the chest tube. She had been in pain with a broken elbow that was going to require surgery. It somehow got to me that someone so young was facing so much.

Then she woke up. Turns out she is quite the little dictator. She ran the nurse damn near ragged by 1000. She ran the cna ragged by 0930. She had the charge nurse pissed by 1030. She wanted what she wanted RIGHT NOW !!! She refused all respiratory therapy (not that I cared) because she was tired, text messaging, hurting, talking to the endless parade of friends that came in, uncomfortable, talking on her cell, texting, talking, phoning, texting, etc etc

Turns out "Princess" did this to herself too! Got drunk off her ass and drove her car (unbelted of course) into a wall.

The second time she snapped at me that she was too busy to do her IS and she didn't need "that piece of shit anyway" my empathy went right out the window.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

She is going to have one long and hard life ahead of her if she makes it that far. Much, much easier to see the big picture when she is SOMEONE ELSE's PROBLEM, thank you, Lord Jesus. Having said that, one of my patients yelled out ALL DAY,"Nurse...help meeeeee, damn it."

Anonymous said...

I hate patients like this. I don't think we should even bother; just let them self-destruct and wash our hands of them.